6/27/2009




I do not wish women to have power


over men; but over themselves.


Mary Wollstonecraft
Learn more on feminism and gender criticism.


6 comments:

  1. I do think that the traditional roles of "masculinity" and "femininity" deprive both men and women from developing fully. This binary classification hinders individual identity and growth and poses a threat to positive gender relationships. Do you agree or disagree with my assertion? Patri Barquero

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree professor.

    The fact that a boy can not express his feelings when he is sad (by crying) may affect him in the future. Also, that girls are taught that there are certain activities they can not do because they are girls also limits their capacities. Hopefully nowadays, most people that have access to education, tend to raise their kids giving them some kind of space to express either "feminine" or "masculine" attitudes. For example, when I was a child I used to play with cars and with barbies and I don't feel that I am less "woman" than other girls.

    Silvia Chacón

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, I agree with both of you. Even though a try really hard, sometimes I cannot help but to feel somehow in disadvantage for being a woman. However, when I trained martial arts with a lot of guys I realized that you can use those disadvantages in your favor. But still, I feel the world would be a better place if we would not have to label yourself either as a woman or a man. I think that those traditional roles are like trying to watch the world in black and white and forgeting the beautiful rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A23091

    I consider that these gender roles imposed by the repressive institutions imprison our human condition. Retain our potential and corrode our social interaction. Moreover, it also triggers social prejudice, discrimination and physical violence against people with a different sexual orientation. Unfortunately, intolerance on the basis of sexual preference is socially accepted.
    Nevertheless, I believe that tolerance should be the basis of our social interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You right humans, because that's what we all are, humans. Just let's forget about that of being a man or being a woman. I do not know who invented the stereotypes. Boys, there's nothing wrong if you cry whenever you need to! And girls, there's nothing wrong if you ask a boy out. Be yourselves, be humans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pablo Orozco
    I totally agree with you profe...I consider that it is important to take into account that even when there has always been this desire of achieving equality among genders, a difference has prevailed. During the last decades, what feminist movements have been trying to achieve is still the same because even when women have gotten rights they did not have, the misconceptions and misrelations of the term "feminism" and its purposes lead to fear and the mistaken belief of male being put aside or being discriminated against, which never existed. It is precisely that fear what caused a bigger gap between genders and the desire of men to get back a control they unfairly have, and that somehow was never lost, reinforcing the patriarchal scheme of society. It is a "male against women war" what stereotypes took advantage from and what those misconceptions produced, so even when women still aim to be at the same level men are in society and treated equally, the men's fear and rejection to understand this is increasing the establishment of specific tasks, duties and roles separately for both-male and female-which poses not only a threat but also a wall for our fully development as human beings, where still some people don't see the other as a person but as a woman or a man.What is important is to know and let others know that givin women the place they deserve and leaving gender roles aside does not mean that men will be "under" control, and that's precisely what equality is supposed to be and the way society should be!

    ReplyDelete